Pile-on salad may be served with Fritos or on a bed of rice, pile your plate with chili, beans, lettuce, tomatoes, cheese, coconut and other ingredients as you desire.
This is a great recipe to serve buffet style to a large crowd or for a Mexican fiesta theme party. You may prepare many of the items the day before.
I have planned this meal many times for family and church gatherings. It is an easy party when everyone pitches in and brings a couple of items. It is enjoyed by kids and adults!
It's a great meal for a fundraiser or a crowd. Serve a large chocolate sheet cake or your choice of dessert and you will have an easy but delicious meal. Okay, let get this pile-on started, get to piling, it grows very fast!
- 4 pounds ground beef
- 5 large onions, chopped, divided
- 4 packages taco seasoning, dry
- 1 pound bag pinto beans, dry, cooked
- 1-14 ounce package rice, cooked
- 1-24 ounce bag Fritos or corn chips, crushed
- 1 pound cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 large head lettuce, chopped
- 6-7 medium tomatoes, chopped
- 2-2 1/2 cups black olives, chopped
- 2-3 large avocados, peeled, chopped
- 1-16 ounce sour cream
- 1-16 ounce picante sauce
- 1-16 ounce jar jalapenos, sliced
Some people love these ingredients and others do not! These are for those of you who are adventurous!
- 1- 18-ounce raisins
- 1- 7-ounce package coconut
- 2-2 1/2 cups pecan, chopped
- The night before serving; sort and wash the pinto beans and place in a pot to soak, cover with the water.
- Drain soaking water from the beans. Place in the crock pot or in a cooking pot on the stove top and cook.
- Brown the beef and 3 of the large onions, chopped; drain off the grease.
- Add the taco seasoning and the amount of water in the directions. Simmer for about 2 hours.
- Cook the rice.
- Chop the lettuce, tomatoes, black olives and the avocados.
- Shred the cheddar cheese.
- Set the bowls of Fritos or crushed corn chips, cheese, onion, lettuce, tomatoes, black olives, avocados, sour cream, picante sauce, jalapeños, raisins, coconut and the pecans in this order to serve buffet style.
- Guests serve themselves by layering the ingredients they desire.
Tips From Margielynn!
Use this recipe for a large gathering. Have each family bring 2 or 3 items and line them up as stated.
This recipe may be increased to the number of servings you need.
You may delete any items that you do not like. I am not a fan of the coconut, olives or the raisins!
For a shortcut, you could add canned beans into the meat mixture; I prefer a fresh pot of pinto beans.
If you use the small corn chips, you will not need to crush them.
Must-Have Desserts, Lots of Desserts!
Our family loves cheesecake served with pile-on! We always have a scrumptious selection to choose from! From pies, cakes, candies to Christmas Cookies!