Saturday, September 3, 2011

Homemade Buttermilk Cornbread

I love a large slice of Homemade Buttermilk Cornbread with many of my meals. A must with stew or soup, yummy with chili. I like serving with pork roast, black-eyed peas or a large bowl of pinto beans, onion and fried potatoes or any kinds of beans. Really cornbread is delicious with just about any meal. If there is any leftover my husband loves for me to make Cornbread Salad.

Ingredients needed:
1 cup yellow cornmeal
1 cup buttermilk
1/2 cup butter, melted
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
2/3 cup granulated sugar
2 large eggs

Directions:
Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
Whisk together the melted butter and sugar in a large mixing bowl.
Add the eggs and whisk until combined.
Add the baking soda and buttermilk; whisk to combine.
Add the cornmeal, flour and salt.
Stir with spatula until just blended.
Do not over mix batter.
Pour batter into 8-inch cast iron skillet or 8-inch square baking pan.
Bake cornbread for 35 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
Cut into serving pieces.

Image by Valerie's Genealogy Photos


1 comment:

  1. Dear Grannie, This sounds so very comforting!! Thank you for visiting my blog and for following. I am following your lovely blog also. Blessings, Catherine xo

    ReplyDelete